Thursday: Tonight is my last night at my hospital apartment

 This morning I realized that this "soap dispenser" by my kitchen sink -- is actually baby shampoo! I have been using this for 5 months thinking it was hand soap. I guess I am not very observant. I guess it has been very gentle on my hand hairs?

I didn't go directly to the dental school this morning. I needed to do some banking first, so I walked into town. On my walk I saw this delivery vehicle for a bakery. The bags are filled with breads and baked goods.

Next, I saw this woman mixing cement. It reminded me of mixing MTA dental cement -- just on a bigger scale.


I saw this "squatter" toilet right adjacent to the sidewalk. I have walked by this at least 80 times and I have never noticed this before. Again, I am apparently not very observant.

The Himalayas were breathtaking this morning. The photo does not come close to reproducing the majesty of these mountains. The skies were clear blue today.

I saw this very happy dog licking residual chocolate ice cream from a carton that the owner opened for him.

I saw these pigeons penetrating and the cardboard cover and feasting on the lentils and other grains kept underneath. 

I saw these leaves being dried. Are these for tobacco or some aruvedic use?

While waiting for the bank to open, I had a quick breakfast at the Bamboo Cafe rooftop. I walk past the Lisa Fancy Store on my stair climb to the rooftop cafe. The mannequin is interesting. I have been wearing this gray fleece vest every day for the past 5 months. I have not laundered it. It deserves a strong wash when it returns to Dallas next week. 




Then at the Dhulikhel branch office of Nabil bank, I wanted to transfer the dollars in my Fulbright bank account to my bank in the USA. It must be a rarity to do such international funds transfers. After an hour of these guys discussing how to do it, They asked me to come back after lunch.

So I then went to the dental school. I watched Anil do this interesting endo case with a resorption perforation in the apical 1/3. I think he got a great result.




I was invited to lunch at the upper canteen with this group by Dr. Chunlin (oral surgeon in the red sweater). He is the defacto "Dean" of the dental school. The guy next to me is a neurosurgeon, His wife (beside him) is a retired endodontist, and next to her is a prosthodontist. They are all from Turkey (where I happen to be visiting in early June). The others are faculty and residents, mostly from the oral surgery department.


Afterwards, I walked back to the bank and after another 45 minutes of waiting/working, they felt confident that the transfer had been effected. I will find out in somewhere from a few days to a few weeks if the money really transferred(?)! The guy seated across the desk from me was sick and was constantly coughing throughout my time at the bank. I hope I don't catch whatever he has.

I saw these delicate blossoms on a tree during my walk back to the hospital.

And I saw these bright red flowers. maybe these are amaryllis?

Back at my hospital apartment, I got mostly packed up. Tonight will be my last night sleeping here. I'll be at the Kathmandu Marriott Friday and Saturday nights and then back at the DLR Sunday through my Thursday departure.







Comments

Popular Posts