Final thoughts -- my last post in this BLOG


 As I am now at my home in Dallas, Texas, my five months in Nepal seems almost like a dream. In many ways, I want to close my eyes and return to that dream.

On Saturday, Jennifer caught an early morning flight back to Oregon, and now I am home alone. My cat Scout seems to remember me and has let me pet her when I feed her.

I am mostly unpacked and resettled. My loads of laundry are washed and I went to the grocery store and stocked my fridge. I am already working to schedule my future with interesting activities.

Although I had not driven for five months, it is indeed just "like riding a bike." 

Every time I brush my teeth now, I'm amazed that I can rinse my toothbrush with tap water and drink it too. Of course, I've been doing this all with bottled water for the past five months.

I am still processing my 5 month experience in Nepal. I think it will take a while to FULLY process. I am so grateful that I had this opportunity and this experience. I can't thank the Fulbright organization enough for making this possible. 

If you have been following my blog for these past 5 months, I hope you have found my comments and photos as a worthwhile means of voyeuristic travel. I encourage you to visit Nepal yourselves -- or visit anywhere unlike the USA. The world is a fascinatingly diverse place. The cocoon of America is both a blessing and a curse. Leave the nest and experience how the rest of the world lives. Personally, I can't wait to get another stamp in my passport. Immersive travel like my 5 month experience in Nepal requires an open mind and a patient soul. You need to reject your ethnocentric biases and feel empathy for the lives of others. Be more than a voyeur -- get to know the people and their lives. Become friends with them. Appreciate the "human experience." My life has been greatly enriched by my new Nepalese friends. In only 5 months, I developed incredibly deep connections --bonds-- with so many smart and interesting individuals. I look forward to life-long relationships with these friends -- and I hope to see them again soon.

Namaste,

Karl

Comments

Popular Posts