Today is Sunday, back to Dhulikhel...

 Remember, people in Nepal work on Sunday. I finished my breakfast and Dr. Kafle picked me up. We made a detour leaving town to pick up a high school girl from Lumbini. Dr. Kafle was a batchmate in preparatory school with her mother. This girl wants to be a physician but she did not score highly on the placement exam. With her exam ranking, she is eligible to attend medical school in Bangladesh, or she could attend a private dental school in Nepal. Today Dr. Kafle was bringing her to the dental school so she could get experience seeing a dental school. I sensed that she was not bold enough to go to Bangladesh, and consequently will likely compromise her goals and pursue a dental career.

Dr Kafle commutes back-and-forth between Kathmandu to Dhulikhel every day. Many faculty members at the school do that same drive. I seem to make the round trip about once every other week. It takes about an hour, depending on traffic.

These spectacular flowers are right outside the door of my Dhulikhel Hospital apartmet.


I worked all day on my computer at the desk in my apartment. To stretch my legs in the late afternoon, I took a walk towards town to get some dinner and some groceries. I saw this tree just a few short paces from my apartment. I have no idea what these are: fruit or nut? They are fuzzy and quite firm.


I bought some bananas here.

These super long beans impress me. I have seen these before. I tried to order some seeds for beans like this (for my mom's garden) a few years ago. I ordered them from China. I don't remember what happened. They either didn't grow or they weren't long beans.

I saw this cow. Because cows are so sacred here, I have been told that it is a greater offense to kill a cow than to kill a person! People here are a bit confused when I explain to them that my family has a beef cattle ranch in Montana USA.

I stopped for dinner at the Tik Tok Burger House. These young men were smoking hookah in the back. Other young men were gambling using their smart phones.

I sat near the front and ordered plain naan bread, french fries, tandoori chicken (half), and a Sprite. The chicken was great -- not too spicy -- just right! $6.75US.


Next I stopped at the mini-grocery. The grandfather was the cashier and his grandson was doing some remedial homework at the cashier counter. I suspect it may be a spelling exercise. Notice the drawing of smiling teeth!


I saw multiple views of the sunset on my walk home. The first two pics are outside the hospital gate. The third pic is looking at my apartment building and the final view is from my apartment window. 




I bought these "Murano" cookies today. I ate one and it wasn't great. I think I got these confused with "Milano" cookies sold in the US by Pepperidge Farms. I'll take the remainder of the box to Anil and Manisha tomorrow.


I have had so many US visitors over the past 2 months. They have been welcome company. Since Dawn & Ann left yesterday, I am alone again. As it is everywhere -- not just in Nepal -- having companions for walks, talks and dinner is a luxury that many people take for granted. My dinner alone reminded me of that today. My next and final visitor will be Jennifer, who is scheduled to arrive here Saturday, April 8th.






Comments

Popular Posts