Saturday November 26 -- Meeting the daughter of my childhood friend



Although American weekends are comprised of both Saturday and Sunday, in Nepal, Saturday is the only day off work for most people. Sunday is a work day. Today is Saturday. I am still at the Kumari Inn in Kathmandu. This was my tasty breakfast. My waiter doesn't refer to these eggs as "over easy." Instead, he says, "both sides." Orange marmalade is very popular here for toast, and I like it. I am slowly becoming accustomed to Nescafe instant coffee. The label does not use the word, "Instant Coffee," but instead says "Soluble Coffee."




Growing up in Great Falls, Montana, I had a childhood great friend, Tom Biedscheid. Tom lived just 3 houses up the street from me. After high school, we even went to the same college, until I transferred out after a year and a half. Tom got married and moved away, and we lost touch. I don't think I have seen or communicated with Tom since maybe 1985. Through a random connection, I found out that his daughter, Jenna, is here in Nepal on a student Fulbright! I reached out to her last week and she invited me out for a beer. So today, that opportunity was realized. She picked me up in a taxi at my guesthouse and we went to the Omana Beer Garden. The weather was nice, so we sat outside. It was surreal to be having a beer with "Tom's Daughter" after all of the beers that I drank with Tom! And it was even more surreal that it was happening in Kathmandu, Nepal. 


Jenna was raised in Fort Collins, Colorado, and has an undergraduate degree in social work from Colorado State University. She is a kind and bright young woman with a compassionate perspective on the world. She is developing a vision for her role in the world's future. Her Fulbright project explores the social justice aspects of Nepalis exploited as laborers at US military bases in areas of conflict. She is collecting ethnographies from these workers who have returned from American bases in Afghanistan. I am fortunate to have now added her as another friend here in Nepal.

We ordered this "Meat-Lovers Pizza" to accompany our beers, but it was not nearly as satisfying a similarly-named pie would be in the US.

Afterwards, Jenna helped me use the PATHAO app on my phone to secure a ride back to my guesthouse. That app is similar to UBER and LYFT in the US. I made it home uneventfully.


Tonight at the guesthouse, I had a reprise of last night's dinner. with a delicious bowl of hot soup. Warm liquids are satisfying in this chilly climate. I also had a cup of tea. I have found that tea here is routinely served with milk; but it has always been very good.

Tomorrow morning I will return to Dhulikhel with Dr. Kafle.


 

Comments

Popular Posts